Updated Flu Facts for 2012
Below are the latest flu facts that can help keep you and your loved ones healthy this flu season:
- Flu season often begins as early as October, peaks in February, and can last until spring or even early May
- The flu can be very dangerous for the young, old, and those with other medical conditions such as asthma or heart failure
- The Flu vaccine provides protection (immunity) for about a year
- The 2012-2013 Flu vaccine provides protection against three main flu strains that research indicates will cause the most illness during the flu season
- It takes approximately 2 weeks after vaccination for your body to develop an immunity
- The effectiveness of the flu vaccine is 70%-90% in healthy adults provided that the flu strain matches the vaccine
- Who should get vaccinated? The CDC now recommends ANYONE older than 6 months who wants to reduce their chances of getting the flu!!!!
- As many as 36,000 adults are estimated to die each year from a flu-related illness such as pneumonia
- Each year about 20,000 children younger than 5 years old are hospitalized from flu complications, like pneumonia
Flu shots are now available at Southwest Family Physicians!
Protect yourself! Schedule your flu shot today!
Call (440) 816-2761 to make an appointment.
Flu shots can also be given during your routine physician appointment.